What You Need to Know About Traffic Offences
Being charged with a traffic offence can result in serious ramifications such as license disqualification, fines & demerit points or even imprisonment in some cases. These charges can have serious effects on your employment & future, if not dealt with correctly.
Our team of criminal lawyers have over 16 years of experience dealing with these matters are here to ensure they obtain the best possible result for you.
What is a Traffic Offence?
A traffic offence can include any of the following:
- Unlicensed driving (which include driving with a disqualified license)
- Exceeding speed limit
- Disobeying a red light
- Driving without wearing a seatbelt
- Illegal or unauthorized parking
- Dangerous operation of a motor vehicle (link to dangerous driving page)
- Careless driving (link to dangerous driving page)
- Drink & drug driving (link to dangerous driving page)
What Are The Possible Consequences?
Below are the maximum penalties you can face for Traffic Offences:
|Unlicensed driving||License disqualification for 1- 6 months
Fine of $6,100 or imprisonment up to 1 year to up to 18 months
|Disobeying a red light||Fine payable & 3 demerit points|
|Driving without wearing seatbelt||Fine payable & 4 demerit points|
|Driving whilst using a phone or other device||Fine payable & 4 demerit points|
|Illegal/unauthorized Parking||Fine payable|
|Exceeding speed limit||See Table Below|
|Exceeding speed limit||Fine Payable||Demerit Points|
|Less than 11km over speed limit||$287||1|
|Between 11km – 20km over speed limit||$431||3|
|Between 20km – 30km over speed limit||$646||4|
|Between 30km – 40km over speed limit||$1,078||6|
|More than 40km over speed limit||$1,653||8 and 6-months license suspension|
What Can PD Law Help With?
- Legal expertise & guidance
- Representation in Court
- Application for a Special Hardship License
- Application for a Work License
If you or someone you know needs assistance with a traffic offence, contact our team today.