What is a Sexual Offence?
The following are classed as a sexual offence in Australia:
- Attempt to Rape
- Sexual Assault
- Indecent Display/Acts
- Distributing prohibited visual recordings
- Sexual abuse of a person with impairment
- Indecent treatment of a child
- Offence of permitting Indecent acts on a child
- Carnal knowledge with persons under 16
- Maintaining Relationship with a Child
- Procuring sexual acts through coercion
- Making/Possessing Child Exploitation Material
What are the Possible Consequences?
|Rape||Life of imprisonment (maximum)|
|Attempt to Rape||14 years imprisonment (maximum)|
|Sexual Assault||10 years imprisonment (maximum)|
|Indecent Display/Acts||2 years imprisonment (maximum)|
|Distributing prohibited visual recordings||3 years imprisonment (maximum)|
|Sexual abuse of a person with impairment||14 years imprisonment (maximum)|
|Bestiality||7 years imprisonment (maximum)|
|Incest||Life of imprisonment (maximum)|
Sexual Acts Involving a Minor
|Indecent Treatment of a Child||14 – 20 years imprisonment (maximum)|
|Indecent acts on a child||14 – 20 years imprisonment (maximum)|
|Carnal knowledge with persons under 16||14 years imprisonment (maximum)|
|Maintaining Relationship with a Child||life imprisonment|
|Procuring sexual acts through coercion||14 years imprisonment (maximum)|
|Making/Possessing Child Exploitation Material||14 years imprisonment (maximum)|
What Do I Do If I Have Been Charged with a Sexual Offence?
Criminal matters are complex in nature and usually time sensitive, missing a deadline or Court date can have serious ramifications.
If you or someone you know has been charged with a Sexual Offence, consequences can be serious and ongoing which can major effects on your future. Seeking legal advice about your situation will help guide you through the process, and ensure you understand what is happening and what your options are to obtain the best result possible.
What Can PD Law Help With?
- Provide expert legal advice
- Liaising with Counsel and other relevant parties
- Preparing Brief of Evidence
- Comprehensive preparation for sentence including researching comparative cases
- Preparing & representing you in Court
If you or someone you know needs assistance with a criminal matter, contact our criminal lawyers today.