Hi, I’m Shelley.
I grew up in Northern Rivers in a small coastal town of Kingscliff and completed my studies on the Gold Coast.
During my studies, I assisted with in house counsel for a number of years in a large automotive vehicle business on the Gold Coast and Sydney. The company has over 22 dealerships over southeast QLD & NSW and employs around 1,000 staff, being the largest in QLD and Northern Rivers. Working in this role allowed me to have a unique perspective from inside the business and learn the practicalities of the business operations and how best to manage and apply legal strategies, policies, contracts and resolve disputes throughout all areas of the business.
It was from here my interest and passion all things commercial, and business really started.
After completing my Bachelor of Laws degree with high distinctions in 2021, I moved to Airlie Beach to start my new role with PD Law, where I was admitted to the legal profession in November 2022.
Why Commercial Law?
I think like most young lawyers, throughout the early stages of my degree I was very interested in crime documentaries, and pictured myself working as a criminal lawyer, dealing with high profile cases – I think I thought it would be like law-and-order style.
When my employer at the time offered me the opportunity to work alongside in-house legal counsel, I really had no idea what this would entail. I quickly learnt that the dual faceted nature and practical aspect of commercial law was something that really interested me.
Some examples of key work I assisted In House Counsel with:
- Corporate compliance and corporate governance generally
- Create precedents and policies to further develop legal functions within the business.
- Making recommendations to amendments within the business policies and procedures as required.
- Working closely with HR department to manage and provide advice regarding legislative requirements for over 1,000 employees.
Most business owners spend the majority of their time working on their business or thinking about how to sustain and grow their business.
I love understanding what drives a business, their growth & goals, and the various factors which influence how they operate. Guiding companies and helping clients navigate tricky commercial situations or being alongside them whilst they make investments and large commercial decisions which create them financial freedom, and asset protection is rewarding.
Some examples of key work I have assisted with at PD Law:
- Acting for buyers in new off the plan developments consisting of a sublease and the challenges with finding the balance of meeting the developers criteria’s, protecting, and mitigating buyers risks.
- Acting for sellers in commercial transactions and negotiating and resolving post settlement retention and compensation for issues not resolved or delivered at settlement to ensure sellers are best placed financially.
- Negotiating commercial leases, in particular disputes arising regarding market review, and expansion and development of premises.
How would you describe your approach?
From working in the commercial department for the past few years, I understand these matters can be complex & time-consuming, so it’s my job is to ensure I can offer options and strategies to avoid unnecessary costs, emotional strain, or conflict to my client.
My focus as your lawyer is to build and maintain a quality relationship to ensure I can do my job as effectively as possible. I have a calm, yet practical approach to my work which allows my clients to feel at ease and always looked after.
- Advised on privacy, consumer law, employment, workplace and industrial relations, governance, and general legislative requirements.
- Assisted lessees in rental disputes in relation to reimbursement of rent, vacating and obtaining abandoned goods following the impact of covid.
- Worked closely with procurement and business heads on contract drafting and management.
- Managed QCAT and NCAT defence from consumer applications regarding consumer law.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor of Laws – Central Queensland University
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – College of Law
- 5 years industry experience